Sunday 16 August 2009

Finally, Some Good Box Art

You may remember that a while ago I talked about box art. Heady times indeed.

2K has recently revealed the box art for Borderlands (a post apocalyptic shooter RPG for those not in the know) and it is probably the best box art ever.

Come, let us regard it.


This box art is beautiful and somewhat surprising. Where is the hero? Where is the gritty backdrop? Instead one of the low level enemies is miming shooting himself in the head and the blood splat shows a glimpse of vehicle combat from the game. It's nice to see someone doing something like this.

I'll also mention the Halo 3 ODST box art.


I really like this box art and not just because the word Halo features on it. I think it captures some of the atmosphere of a lone special ops trooper in a hostile city. It thankfully isn't like the Halo 3 box art where all I can see is Master Chief tipping over.


3 comments:

  1. Borderlands cover > ODST cover, just because the top right "new hero, new campaign, new multiplayer" text is annoying me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you, just look at you comparing PAL and NTSC covers...

    Still, the Borderlands cover looks quite nice but having no knowledge of the game means I can't say much more than that. I do wonder though if it will do the job well? When you know about the game the box only serves to look good. If your in a shop looking for a particular type of game, the box needs to communicate quite alot and I'm not sure this does (other than a general theme of violence).

    The Halo ODST box does very little for me. I too hate the 'New hero, new campaign...' text. It's almost like they have to say "Don't be fooled by the Halo 3 words, this is a different game, honestly, look we can prove it because we have a new hero, a new campaign and a new multiplayer system". If it were me I would have just bigged up the ODST and put the Halo 3 out the way somewhere. Then again, I'm no designer and I've never had anyone ask me to design a box cover so take from that what you will.

    I also realise I've said that Borderlands isn't descriptive enough and ODST tries to hard to describe. Maybe I just hate everything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing beats the Halo 2 box art with Master Chief belching clouds of flame and smoke out of his bum!

    ReplyDelete