Wednesday 6 May 2009

When Will Tycho Stop Being Right?

Last week I posted up a discussion between myself and Ben about DLC. That was before the second wave of broken Fallout 3 DLC hit. I am currently making a game for Bethesda so as far as I am concerned, this is all part of their glorious master plan and you complaining heathens should just be glad that they have chosen to grace you with more content. Now quit your whining and buy it.

Having said that, Penny Arcade have once again cut straight to the heart of the issue.

Whilst I understand complaining about paying for broken content, I am tired of the cost vs value argument that keeps cropping up. From Tycho's post:

"I only buy things I want, so much of the conversation surrounding the generalized villainy of downloadable content doesn't get very far with me."

I am like Tycho, I only buy content that has some value to me. Y'know, like a normal person would do. I am not one of those despicable wretches that inhabits GAF (and god forbid the GameFAQs forums) that still lives in a world where the expect every piece of content that is released is directed solely at them.

That used to be the case. Once upon a time publishers would build their portfolio around the needs of the hardcore gamer and those needs and tastes were pretty narrow. We would consume nearly everything released but nowadays a lot more people play games and so publishers release content that a broad demographic might choose to buy and play. And they will release a lot of it.

Do I complain about about the price of the Cops and Robber pack for Burnout Paradise? No, I just won't buy it as it of no interest to me. No one is forcing you to buy it, stop assuming you must and then railing against the price. The fact is that Ubisoft could charge any amount they want for Rainbow Six content and I will lap that up because it has value to me. The only price something has is the value you put on it.

I'll cop to the fact that I am drunk and extremely tired and that the above may have made no sense.

Also, never let it be said that I do not appreciate my fans. I was going to post something to do with Chun Li to appease certain factions in the Cammy vs. Chun Li war but fate stood in my way. Never under any circumstance Google image search for Chun Li with safe search turned off. Just be glad that Capcom decide what content you can download for SF4 on the consoles and do not even dare to imagine the horrors that will befall the female characters in the PC version.

1 comment:

  1. "You fucking complaining heathens should just be glad that they have chosen to grace you with more content. Now quit your whining and buy it."

    Tell it like it is why don't you! Haha. I admire your brutality.

    Seems like I'm not the only fan of Chun-Li then. I don't take it that far though... O_o

    ReplyDelete