Tuesday 15 December 2009

Um, Um, Um, C'mon Everybody, Get Down!

After an exceedingly ball bouncingly awesome 50 hours Phil and I have finally put a bow on Borderlands.

We have hit level 50 with our main characters and got all of the achievements. The game never got boring or frustrating and it feels strange to no longer have it as a regular fixture in my life. We played through the amazing DLC twice as well.

I don't want to say much more as my review for it will be going up soon.

Speaking of reviews (how does my segue taste?), my Modern Warfare 2 review has gone up over at NTSC-UK. Check it out to see what I have to say about a game full of very serious dudes with guns. Check out Spatial's awesome banner!



Something I didn't say in the review, but will mention now, is that the characterisation of some of the characters in that game is pretty subtle. By that I mean an awful lot of it isn't done in cutscenes and instead it comes from the chatter between Gaz (I'm calling it) and Soap. Once you play this game, go back and look how quiet other games are. Check out Ubi's squad shooters to see a bunch of soldiers currently on the edge of death but being very quiet about it.

This also plays into the way they call out what they and the enemies are doing. The constant chatter describes the chaotic battlefield in surprising detail. I guess it helps when the actors read the lines that they are told to and not selectively pick from a script that a very attractive and intelligent game designer has written for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment